During Saturday's game against Villanova, Marquette sophomore forward Davante Gardner made a move to the basket and ended up in an unmoving heap on the floor. No foul was called. At the next stoppage of play, an official's time out was called to repair the net because Gardner and his defender's hands got tangled up in the net and tore the net in the process. When play resumed, Gardner was still in the game.
Now, I saw multiple people on Twitter say that they saw Ox's knee buckle as he went down. I didn't see it, but it's worth pointing out that even Davante himself mentioned his knee on Twitter. Furthermore, at least one person saw Gardner on crutches around campus on Monday.
This was enough to launch the Anonymous Eagle Bureau of Nonsensical Investigations into action.
I can now confirm that the following quote was the first thing that someone directly said to the AEBNI team and therefore must be reasonably close to the truth:
"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw him pass out at Kopp's [Sunday night]. I guess it's pretty serious."
The AEBNI tells me that they were unable to track down a single other person who was able to corroborate this story in any fashion, including one person who said that it would be impossible for Gardner to even be at Kopp's because he's lactose intolerant.
If you'll join us after the jump, we'll go over the other things that the Nonsensical Investigations team was able to find out but unable to find anyone to confirm.
- If Davante dies, he's going to give his eyes to Stevie Wonder.
- A student was seen in the AMU taking donations in an empty Busch Light can to help pay for Davante's new kidney.
- Not only did the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel publish a story entitled "Community Rallies Around Sick Youth," but they also allowed you to read the story without it counting towards one of your 20 free clicks for the month.
- The English Department Faculty and Staff sent Davante a Get Well Soon bouquet.
- Davante Gardner is Batman.
- Davante was assimilated into the Borg.
- Davante has the Glengarry leads.
If you have your own theories or ideas as to what's going on with Davante, please post them in the comments section below!