Alright, men: the battle cry tonight is DON'T FINISH LAST.
O'REILLY AUTO PARTS CBE CLASSIC
Marquette vs. No. 22/18 Gonzaga
| || |
4-1 (0-0 Big East)
2-2 (0-0 WCC)
November 23, 2010 6:45 p.m. CDT
Sprint Center (18,555) Kansas City, Missouri
TV: ESPNU (w/ Dave O'Brien and Bob Knight)
Radio: ESPN 540 (Milwaukee) (w/ Steve "The Homer" True and Jim McIlvaine)
SBN Coverage: Bulldogs vs Golden Eagles coverage
A View from the Other Side: The Slipper Still Fits
All-Time Series: Tied, 1-1
Last Meeting: Marquette defeated Gonzaga, 72-63, in the championship game of the 2001 Great Alaska Shootout.
Spread: Gonzaga (-1)
First: read The Slipper Still Fits' answers to our questions about Gonzaga. Then: jump.MARQUETTE PROBABLE STARTERS
- G Vander Blue (2010-'11 stats: 8.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 3.2 apg)
- G Dwight Buycks (2010-'11 stats: 10.6 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 4.0 apg)
- G Darius Johnson-Odom (2010-'11 stats: 11.8 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 2.1 apg)
- F Jimmy Butler (2010-'11 stats: 16.8 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.8 apg)
- F/C Chris Otule (2010-'11 stats: 5.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 0.2 apg)
GONZAGA PROBABLE STARTERS
- G Demetri Goodson (2010-'11 stats: 6.3 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 3.0 apg)
- G Steven Gray (2010-'11 stats: 23.0 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 6.5 apg)
- F Elias Harris (2010-'11 stats: 6.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 0.8 apg)
- F Mathis Moenninghoff (2010-'11 stats: 7.5 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.3 apg)
- C Robert Sacre (2010-'11 stats: 13.0 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.3 apg)
OTHER KEY STATS AND WHIMSY
- Gonzaga shooting percentages in 2010-'11: FG: 49.4%; 3PT: 36.6%; FT: 75.0%
- Is there something I don't know about Jesuit schools and bulldogs? Georgetown's got the Hoya, the Zags have the bulldog ... Is this covered in one of St. Ignatius's writings?
- Gonzaga has dropped its last two contests, including a 79-76 loss at home to San Diego State on November 16. The loss to the Aztecs was only the fifth game the Zags have lost on their home floor since their new arena -- the McCarthey Athletic Center -- opened in 2004.
BEER OF THE GAME
The Boulevard Dry Stout got off to a rocky start yesterday, but Dook wasn't stellar from downtown -- 6-18 on triples for the game -- so we'll stay with the Kansas City beermaker for this one. Summer's over, but Boulevard's Wheat Beer is an all-season favorite. And if someone picked up a six pack for Mrs. Q on their return from KC, Mrs. Q would be much obliged.
Enjoy the game, and bring me home a winner.