The latest version of Marquette's NO WIN SCENARIO bowl starts now.
MARQUETTE GOLDEN EAGLES BASKETBALL
Marquette @ UW-Milwaukee
4-2 (0-0 Big East)
3-3 (0-0 Horizon)
November 27, 2010 8:00 p.m. CDT
U.S. Cellular Arena (10,783) Milwaukee, Wisconsin
TV: Time Warner Cable 32 (w/ Daron Sutton and Adrian Tigert) and SNY
Radio: ESPN 540 (Milwaukee) (w/ Steve "The Homer" True and Jim McIlvaine)
SBN Coverage: Golden Eagles vs Panthers coverage
All-Time Series: Marquette leads, 37-0.
Last Meeting: Marquette defeated UW-Milwaukee, 71-51, on December 8, 2009 at the Bradley Center.
Spread: Marquette (-9)
Your usual collection of relevant statistics and irrelevant whimsy, after the jump.
MARQUETTE PROBABLE STARTERS
- G Vander Blue (2010-'11 stats: 7.5 ppg; 3.8 rpg; 3.0 apg)
- G Dwight Buycks (2010-'11 stats: 10.3 ppg; 3.7 rpg; 4.3 apg)
- G Darius Johnson-Odom (2010-'11 stats: 12.0 ppg; 3.7 rpg; 2.0 apg)
- F Jimmy Butler (2010-'11 stats: 17.7 ppg; 6.0 rpg; 2.0 apg)
- F/C Chris Otule (2010-'11 stats: 5.2 ppg; 3.2 rpg; 0.2 apg)
UW-MILWAUKEE PROBABLE STARTERS
- G Kaylon Williams (2010-'11 stats: 6.0 ppg; 4.2 rpg; 4.2 apg)
- G Tone Boyle (2010-'11 stats: 15.5 ppg; 2.5 rpg; 1.3 apg)
- G Lonnie Boga (2010-'11 stats: 7.0 ppg; 5.5 rpg; 1.1 apg)
- F Tony Meier (2010-'11 stats: 7.5 ppg; 4.8 rpg; 0.8 apg)
- F Anthony Hill (2010-'11 stats: 13.0 ppg; 7.5 rpg; 1.8 apg)
OTHER KEY STATS AND WHIMSY:
- UW-Milwaukee shooting percentages (2010-'11): FG: 41.3%; 3PT: 30.3%; FT: 56.8%.
- UW-M senior guard Tone Boyle missed the 2009 matchup between the Panthers and Golden Eagles, but he was the best thing UW-M had going in its 100-80 loss to Marquette in 2008: 23 points on 7-15 shooting, including 3-6 on three-pointers and six-of-seven free throws. And that was when Marquette had defensive dynamos Jerel McNeal and Dom James at the ready. If Marquette goes into one of its customary five-to-ten minute lulls when it doesn't guard the perimeter, Boyle could make it hurt.
- If you weren't been able to tell from yesterday's interview with Rosiak, I hate this game. If Marquette wins: big deal. We're supposed to win. If Marquette loses: it's a big blow to the resume, especially if UW-Milwaukee finishes in the bottom half of the Horizon League this year. Add in the fact that the city doesn't care about this game (plenty of fine seats still available tonight, if you're not doing anything) and the fact that there aren't any significant ties between the two schools (I know Rob Jeter was an assistant here, but that was only for one season 10 years ago), and I just don't see any upside to playing UW-M every year. Sorry.
BEER OF THE GAME:
My least favorite game of the year gets stuck with my least favorite beer of all time: Blatz. The only redeeming quality about Blatz is that it's cheap, but that's little solace when you're camped on the pooper after a night of Blatzing.
Enjoy the game, and bring me home a winner.