clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Men's Soccer: #7/#9 Marquette 3, #2/#2 Connecticut 2!

Andy Huftalin scored twice and Marquette moved to 11-0-0 on the season with a win over the #2 team in the country! UPDATE: Now with video of MU's goals!

Maggie Casey/

(Brewtown Andy sez: This originally appeared as a FanPost here on the site, but since Fan Posts can't be placed in the layout at the top of the site, we're creating this so we can celebrate this monumental victory. We turn it over to our intrepid on location reporter, MrsB.)

Your Golden Eagles remain undefeated after outlasting the Huskies for a 3-2 victory in a physical match that saw one player leave the field on an ambulance and four yellow cards issued in total.

Scoring got underway in the 32nd minute when Adam Lysak, with an assist from Kelmend Islami who scooped up the ball after a blocked shot, connected with the net. Andy Huftalin's goal in the 40th minute put Marquette up 2-0 and in the driver's seat heading into halftime. Marquette kept UConn goalkeeper Andre Black on his toes: they held a 9-4 shot advantage at the half. The shooting spree continued early in the second when Blake had to make several impressive stops to keep UConn within striking distance.

The Huskies finally got on the scoreboard in the 70th minute when Jossimar Sanchez got the ball past a charging Charlie Lyon. Unfortunately, Sanchez and Lyon collided with each other on the play: Lyon was uninjured and stayed in goal for Marquette, but Sanchez had to leave the field on an ambulance with what Marquette Soccer said appeared to be a leg injury.

Shortly after play resumed, the Golden Eagles had another opportunity to increase their lead when the Huskies were called for a foul just outside the box: it appeared for a few moments that card might be issued. Instead Sebastian Jansson left the field and Paul Dillon was denied a goal off the free kick by the on the ball Blake. Marquette played short for a bit, but Jansson returned with no on field announcement explaining his absence.

Huftalin, assisted by Lysak, scored the eventual game winner to put Marquette up 3-1 in the 81st minute, but UConn would not go quietly into the night. Adria Beso got one past Lyon in the final minute and had a chance to even the score with just six seconds remaining on a free kick from the sidelines. The ball sailed into a pack waiting in front of the goal and was cleared out by the Golden Eagles to hand the Huskies their first loss of the season.

(Brewtown Andy here again with an update. The MU athletics YouTube page now has video of interviews with Lysak, Huftalin and Coach Bennett, along with video of all three MU goals. Here you go!)