clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

2.19 Around The Big East

More than a game and a half of excitement to discuss...

Anthony Gruppuso-USA TODAY Sport

#9 Villanova 82, Providence 79 (2OT) - As this game drew on, and Providence hung with the top 10 Wildcats, everyone got the feeling that the Friars might have a chance as long as Bryce Cotton was on the floor. Towards the end of regulation, Cotton hit two free throws that gave LaDontae Henton the opportunity to hit a big three pointer to tie the game at 63. After Ryan Arcidiacono missed a three pointer, things headed to an extra session.

In the first overtime period, it was the other Friars that put the scoring in to keep things moving before Cotton hit a wild layup with 38 seconds left to tie things back up at 72. Things turned to Arcidiacono again with a chance to win, but he missed a layup of his own.

The second overtime saw two buckets from Kadeem Batts to keep pace with the five points from JayVaughn Pinkston and a bucket from Daniel Ochefu. So where do you turn when you need a three pointer to tie? Ice Cotton, naturally, and of course he came through. With 16 seconds left, Villanova called timeout again, and Jay Wright turned to Arcidiacono one more time.

"We had the ball and called timeout with 16 seconds left," [Arcidiacono] said. "Coach wanted me to run a play with about 8 (seconds). I missed the first two and got to the lane in the first OT, and thought I could again."

Arcidiacono hit the layup this time and drew a foul from Batts. He hit the free throw, and after Henton missed a three pointer, Villanova escaped their third straight overtime game after a loss this season.

Henton was the only one of the 10 starters that didn't score in double digit points. Nova was led by 21 from Arcidiacono and Providence got 22 from Cotton. Head over to VU Hoops for more on this game.

St. John's 77, Butler 52 - So, uh, about that second half, Bulldogs....

The Red Storm had 47 points after intermission against just 19 points from Butler, and they ran away and hid for St. John's sixth straight victory. Butler actually had a three point halftime lead after a Khyle Marshall dunk at the buzzer. St. John's rolled out a 14-2 run to open the second half as they hit six of their first 10 shots of the half, and it was off to the races for the Red Storm from there. The dunk to close the half by Marshall would be the last time he scored in the game, and he finished with a team high 16 points.

Butler was without the services of Kameron Woods, the Big East's leading rebounder, for this game, and the Indianapolis Star reported after the game that Woods has been suspended from all team activities. It's not a good time to be a Bulldogs fan, as Woods becomes the fourth player to miss time this season not counting Roosevelt Jones who was injured over the summer, and Butler finds themselves in last place in the Big East.

JaKarr Sampson had 23 points and eight rebounds to power the Red Storm attack, and you can get more on this game from either Rumble In The Garden or Butler Hoops.