clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Women's Basketball: Marquette 77, Georgetown 54

The Golden Eagles rout the struggling Hoyas to open a three game home stand.

Arlesia Morse had a monster first half going 4 of 4 from behind the arc.
Arlesia Morse had a monster first half going 4 of 4 from behind the arc.
Maggie Bean,

You learn something new everyday. When Georgetown was whistled for failing to get the ball across mid-court in a timely manner on Saturday afternoon, we learned that the NCAA put a ten second back court violation rule into effect for women's basketball during this past off season.

In fact, the struggling Hoyas seemed to be playing violation bingo: they also racked up two 3 second violations and a throw in violation as well as getting a delay of game warning coming out of a time out in the second half. Marquette took advantage of those (and other) struggles in basketball basics to crush Georgetown, 77-54, at the McGuire Center in their first of three home games this week.

The game didn't initially have the look of a blow out: while Marquette never trailed Georgetown in the matchup, the Hoyas tied the game up at 16 with 11 minutes left in the first half. But then Arlesia Morse took over draining 3 buckets from the behind the arc in less than 2 minutes to put the Golden Eagles up 25-20. The score got stuck there for nearly three minutes as both teams combined to go 0 of 10 before Katherine Plouffe broke through for Marquette. After Morse swiped the ball and nailed another three with less than a minute left until halftime, the Golden Eagles went into the break with a 40-30 lead on the Hoyas.

When Brooklyn Pumroy hit a three for Marquette early in the second to make the lead 14, it looked like the Golden Eagles were running away with the game. Georgetown hit consecutive shots, even forcing a turnover, to pull within 10, but then things got very ugly very quickly for the Hoyas.

Marquette finished the second half shooting a perfectly acceptable, but not spectacular 12 of 28 from the field and 12 of 16 from the charity stripe. Meanwhile, Georgetown melted down: they whiffed on 12 consecutive field goal attempts going from down 12 to 22 in 6 minutes. The Hoyas didn't break 20 points in the half until Chelsie Butler fouled out with 2:31 to play and Faith Woodard converted on one of her free throws.

Abbie Willenborg Player of the Game: Although she was much quieter in the second half, Arlesia Morse accounted for half of Marquette's 40 points going into halftime. Her 3 well timed three pointers pulled the Golden Eagles away from the Hoyas and a fourth one to close the half was sweet icing on the cake.

Claire Barnard Undersung Eagle of the Game: Props to Katherine Plouffe who was a a perfect 6 of 6 from the free throws line. She finished the night with 18 points which pushed her to 1,348 total career points good enough for tenth place on Marquette's all time scorers list. Next on the list with 1,356 points: Clare Barnard.

Up Next: A make up date with Seton Hall on Wednesday February 5 at 7 pm at the McGuire Center. The Pirates were snowed in when they were originally supposed to visit on January 8.