We've got schedules coming every which way this week! Tuesday was men's basketball's full Big East schedule, Wednesday was men's lacrosse's full lineup, and today, the Big East announced the conference's schedule for women's hoops!
Let's get to the order of games for Carolyn Kieger's first year as head coach:
|Tues., Dec. 30||vs Xavier||7pm|
|Fri., Jan. 2||at Georgetown||6:30pm||Fox Sports 1|
|Sun., Jan. 4||at Villanova||12pm|
|Fri., Jan. 9||vs DePaul||7pm|
|Sun. Jan. 11||vs Butler||2pm|
|Fri., Jan. 16||at Seton Hall||6pm|
|Sun., Jan. 18||at St. John's||1pm|
|Fri., Jan. 23||vs Providence||7pm|
|Sun. Jan. 25||vs Creighton||2pm|
|Fri., Jan. 30||vs Villanova||7pm|
|Sun., Feb. 1||vs Georgetown||2pm|
|Fri., Feb. 6||at Xavier||6pm|
|Sun., Feb. 8||at Butler||12pm|
|Fri., Feb. 13||vs St. John's||8pm||Fox Sports 1|
|Sun., Feb. 15||vs Seton Hall||2pm|
|Fri., Feb 20||at Providence||6pm|
|Sun., Feb. 22||at Creighton||1pm|
|Sun., Mar. 1||at DePaul||3pm||CBS Sports Network|
- What's up with the Friday/Sunday scheduling? I presume it has something to do with organizing for TV, as every team will play at least two games on national television this season.
- So, with Friday/Sunday scheduling, that means travel partners, i.e. you have to play these two teams on this particular weekend. It's something that the Pac 10 did for decades, where you went on the road and played both Oregon schools, or both Washington schools, or both California Bay Area schools, etc. Most of these make perfect sense. St. John's/Seton Hall, Butler/Xavier, Georgetown/Villanova, and it looks like Marquette & DePaul are a pair. That leaves the remaining two schools to be partners: Creighton and Providence.
- I mentioned national TV, and as you can see, MU will have three games broadcast this season. Two on Fox Sports 1, and one on CBS Sports Network. St. John's has some sort of deal with ESPN3 for their non-men's hoops sports, so it's too bad that one of MU's TV games is being spent on a game that ESPN3 probably would have been showing anyway.
- For the most part, Marquette alternates weekends at home and on the road. The only exception is a four game homestand right at the mid-point of the season and closing things out with three straight road games. It's going to be slightly weird having Senior Day on the day after Valentine's Day, but oh well.
- The Big East's recently announced digital partnership with Fox Sports is going to result in 30 more games being available via Fox Sports Go. Hopefully there's more of those on MU's road games than home games, as the athletic department has been graciously providing free video streaming for home games anyway.
- Unlike the men's side, the women's team will have three games during winter break. WBB student attendance has been.... not... great... the past few years, so it's unfortunate that this will further limit the students who will fill in behind the north basket.