clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

The Quick and Dirty: Georgetown 95, Marquette 85 (OT)

Well. That's a punch in the gut.

Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports

It was close but not quite once again today for YOUR Marquette Golden Eagles, as fabulous offensive performances from Matt Carlino and Duane Wilson went for naught in a gut-wrenching 95-85 overtime loss to Georgetown at the Bradley Center.

In the first half, the Matt Carlino Show picked up where it left off against St. John's, as the lefty bomber hit four 3-pointers in the first 4 minutes of the game to stake MU to an early 12-10 lead. But hyphenated assassin D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera was equal to the challenge, pouring in five 3-pointers of his own in the opening half to lead the Hoyas to a 45-39 halftime advantage. Turnovers were once again an issue for YOUR Golden Eagles, as everyone but Carlino and Steve Taylor, Jr. coughed the ball up once and MU ended the half with seven total TOs. Carlino led all scorers with 16 at the break, and Sandy Cohen III chipped in 5.

Oh, and Derrick Wilson killed a guy (video via Rob Dauster):

In the second half, miraculously-resurrected Paul White opened the scoring with a 3 to stretch the Hoya lead to 48-39, but, after a Derrick Wilson layup (not pictured), Duane Wilson ran off the game's next 7 points -- on a free throw and a couple triples -- to knot the score at 48. From there, the teams traded runs, with Georgetown busting off a 14-6 spurt (on the strength of 5 points from Isaac Copeland and a 3-ball from Tre Campbell) and MU responding with a 12-2 run (featuring five points from Du. Wilson and a huge 3 from Cohen) to take a 66-64 lead at the under-8 timeout.

Unfortunately for the home squad, Josh Smith's tummy is apparently not considered a dangerous weapon in the Big East rule book, and the Hoyas' big man used his ample gut to push MU players all over the court on both ends of the floor with nary a whistle sounding. When the dust cleared, Smith had bulldozed Georgetown to a three-point lead with 3:30 to play. Duane Wilson drew Marquette even again with a triple from the top of the key, and on the next possession, Luke Fischer scooped up a loose ball for an emphatic dunk to stake the Golden Eagles to the lead once again.

A critical turnover by Du. Wilson and an ice-cold runner in the lane by Copeland restored Georgetown's three-point lead, until Wilson hit an impossible, off-balance 3 over two Hoyas to forge another tie at 79-79. After Fischer fouled out of the game on a ticky-tack call on an entry pass, Smith hit two free throws, but Carlino answered with a deep 2 -- and, at best, his pinky toe was on the line -- to send the game to overtime.

In the extra session, Marquette simply ran out of gas. An early 3 from Duane Wilson gave Marquette an 84-82 lead, but MU got overwhelmed from there, managing only a free throw the rest of the way. When Tre Campbell hit another 3 with a minute to play, that was all she wrote, and the Hoyas salted away the game from the line to take a 10-point win.

Carlino and Du. Wilson each had 26 for Marquette, and Cohen added 8. Smith-Rivera paced Georgetown with 19, Copeland chipped in 17, and Smith and his belly managed 18 points, 14 rebounds, and a foul on every possession of the second half and overtime, even though the box score shows he only finished with 4.

With the loss, Marquette drops to 2-5 in the Big East and 10-9 overall.

Until tomorrow, then, this is your post-game dejection thread.