Head coach Louis Bennett and the Marquette men's soccer team have released the schedule for the fall of 2015. There's seven home games on the slate, and six of the overall list of opponents includes teams that qualified for the 2014 NCAA College Cup.
There's not much in the way of easy times on that schedule, and that's before you get into the fact that since last year, Marquette has lost Charlie Lyon, their all-Big East keeper, and Axel Sjoberg, their all-Big East center back. They'll also have to replace defensive midfielder Brady Wahl, jack of all trades midfielder Sebastian Jansson, and forward Coco Navarro. MU still returns striker C. Nortey and midfielder Louis Bennett II, but the Golden Eagles' success will largely depend on how fast they can readjust the defense.
Here's the schedule:
|Fri., Aug. 28||at Oregon State||7pm|
|Sun., Aug. 30||at Portland||3pm|
|Thu., Sept. 3||at UW-Milwaukee||7:30pm|
|Mon., Sept. 7||Dayton||6pm|
|Fri., Sept. 11||Nebraska-Omaha||6pm|
|Fri., Sept. 18||Northern Illinois||7:05pm|
|Sat., Sept. 26||at St. John's||6pm|
|Tue., Sept. 29||at Notre Dame||6pm|
|Sat., Oct. 3||at Villanova||12pm|
|Wed., Oct. 7||at Wisconsin||7pm|
|Sat., Oct. 10||Seton Hall||7:05pm|
|Wed., Oct. 14||at Georgetown||1pm|
|Sat., Oct. 17||Creighton||7:05pm|
|Sat. Oct. 24||at Xavier||6pm|
|Wed. Oct. 28||Providence||7:05pm|
|Sat. Oct. 31||Butler||7:05pm|
|Thu., Nov. 5||at DePaul||1pm|
Some quick notes:
- In addition to an intra-team scrimmage on August 13, MU will play three exhibition games: Saturday, August 15, vs Bradley; Tuesday, August 18, vs Loyola-Chicago; and Saturday, August 22, at Indiana.
- The home opener against Dayton is the first game against the Flyers since 1994 and first in Milwaukee since 1989.
- Marquette hasn't won the Milwaukee Cup at UWM since 2008. The Golden Eagles are 4-3-1 in the last eight Milwaukee Cup matches.
- Notre Dame was the overall #1 seed in the 2014 College Cup before falling 1-0 to #16 seed Virginia in the Sweet 16.
- This will be the first time that Marquette has ever faced Nebraska-Omaha.
- I'm getting REAL tired of playing DePaul in the final game of the regular season. This is the third straight season where that will be the case, and no, I still haven't forgiven the Blue Demons for their foulfest in 2013 that nearly cost Marquette the Big East regular season title.
- I am already looking forward to Senior Night against Butler. Not because it's against the Bulldogs, but because it's on Halloween. I expect an insane showing from The Birdcage.