On Friday, Marquette women's soccer and head coach Markus Roeders announced the team's schedule for the fall of 2015. There's 10 home games on the board, including six of the first seven matches of the season. Also on the slate are six teams (Boston University, Northern Arizona, South Dakota State, South Alabama, DePaul, & Georgetown) that qualified for the 2014 NCAA College Cup, and as an added bonus, four of those games will come in a five game run all in the first month of the season.
Marquette will be looking to make it back to the NCAA tournament in 2015 after snapping a streak of six straight seasons in the College Cup when they missed out in 2014. Coach Roeders regularly sets his squads up with strong tests early in the season, and this schedule is no different. The Golden Eagles will have to figure out a way to replace forward Mady Vicker, midfielders Alex Heffron and Mary Luba, as well as defensive stalwart Haley Fritzlen. They do return seven starters from 2014, though, including long time goalkeeper Amanda Engel and developing offensive threat Darian Powell.
Here's the schedule:
|Fri., Aug. 21||Utah||7pm|
|Sun., Aug. 23||at Michigan||4pm|
|Fri., Aug. 28||Portland||7:30pm|
|Sun., Aug. 30||Boston University||1pm|
|Fri., Sept. 4||Minnesota||7pm|
|Fri., Sept. 11||Northern Arizona||8:15pm|
|Sun., Sept. 13||South Dakota State||1:30pm|
|Thurs., Sept. 17||at South Alabama||7pm|
|Sun., Sept. 20||at LSU||1pm|
|Wed., Sept. 23||at UWM||7pm|
|Sun., Sept. 27||Creighton||1pm|
|Thurs., Oct. 1||at Seton Hall||6pm|
|Sun., Oct. 4||at St. John's||12pm|
|Thurs., Oct. 8||Xavier||7pm|
|Sun., Oct. 11||Providence||1pm|
|Sun., Oct. 18||at Georgetown||12pm|
|Thurs., Oct. 22||Villanova||7pm|
|Sun., Oct. 25||at Butler||12pm|
|Fri., Oct. 30||at DePaul||2pm|
Some quick notes:
- Marquette will play their annual exhibition against Wisconsin on August 13th in Madison.
- The Portland game is the back end of a doubleheader, where Marquette will play host to Northwestern vs Boston University. The Wildcats will then retreat back to Evanston, while the Terriers will remain in Milwaukee for a Sunday contest with MU.
- The Northern Arizona and South Dakota State games are part of the Marquette Invitational, and both games will be the second part of a doubleheader. Loyola-Chicago will be in Milwaukee to provide the fourth team to participate and the opponent for NAU & SDSU in the front end of the doubleheaders.
- The home opener against Utah will take place the Friday before the freshmen move in to campus, so it might be kind of a quiet time in The Birdcage for that one.
- For the second year in a row, Marquette will play a Senior Night game with two road games yet to play.