Three years ago, the schedule was out on September 5th. Two years ago, also September 5th. Last year, September 9th. I figured at the time the delay last year was because of LeBron goofing up the NBA's TV plans. What caused the delay this year? Your guess is as good as mine.
Anyway, enough yammering, here's the dates, times, and TV assignments for Marquette's 18 Big East games for the upcoming season.
|Wed., Dec. 30||vs Seton Hall||6pm||Fox Sports 1|
|Sat., Jan. 2||at Georgetown||4:30pm||Fox Sports 1|
|Tues., Jan. 5||at Providence||6pm||Fox Sports 1|
|Sat., Jan. 9||vs St. John's||1pm||Fox Sports Regional|
|Wed., Jan. 13||at Villanova||7:30pm||Fox Sports 1|
|Sat., Jan. 16||vs Xavier||1pm||Fox Sports 1|
|Wed., Jan. 20||vs DePaul||7pm||Fox Sports 1|
|Sat., Jan. 23||at St. John's||7pm||CBS Sports Network|
|Sat., Jan. 30||vs Butler||11am||Fox Sports 1|
|Wed., Feb. 3||at Seton Hall||7:30pm||Fox Sports 1|
|Sat., Feb. 6||at Xavier||11am||Fox Sports 1|
|Wed., Feb. 10||vs Providence||6pm||CBS Sports Network|
|Sat., Feb. 13||vs Creighton||7pm||Fox Sports Regional|
|Sat., Feb. 20||at DePaul||1pm||Fox Sports Regional|
|Wed., Feb. 24||at Creighton||7pm||CBS Sports Network|
|Sat., Feb 27||vs Villanova||12:30pm||Fox|
|Tues., Mar. 1||vs Georgetown||8pm||Fox Sports 1|
|Sat., Mar. 5||at Butler||1:30pm||Fox/FS Regional|
Some things that jumped out at me right away:
- Three games on CBS Sports Network, three games for sure on Fox Sports' regional networks, one game for sure on broadcast Fox. If Marquette and Butler's fortunes are falling the right way in March, then we'll get another game on Fox. Everything else is on Fox Sports 1, and there's no games on Fox Sports 2, which is nice.
- WE GET A SATURDAY NIGHT HOME GAME! I don't even know when the last time that happened. It's on February 13, and Creighton will be the victim.
- I suspect that the Bradley Center has an unannounced event on January 16th, as Marquette is playing a home game at 1pm when there's currently nothing scheduled that night. For what it's worth, the Big East doesn't have any night games that day.
- We already knew Marquette would have a break from conference play in the last week of January because of the Stetson game. That one falls in between a roadie in Madison Square Garden against St. John's and a home date against Butler. The other bye week in league play is in mid-February, when Marquette will have a week off between that night game against the Jays and traveling to DePaul.
- Marquette opens league play at home for the first time since 2012-13.
- No more than two home or road games in a row for the whole season.
- Spring Semester classes start on January 19, so that makes for 3 home games before the students return to campus. Mid-terms don't start until March 7, so no worries about that.
- I'm guessing that National Marquette Day will be scheduled to go along with the Villanova home game that will be broadcast on Fox. There's another home game after that to serve as Senior Night, so that's not an issue.
- There's excellent opportunities for Marquette fan invasions. There are Saturday road games at Georgetown, at St. John's, at Xavier, at DePaul, and at Butler.
- 10 of Marquette's 18 games are on Saturdays, which means there's a Marquette game every single Saturday of the league schedule. Pretty sweet.