On Saturday, after Marquette completed their comeback victory against St. John's, I offered up this comment on Twitter:
FINAL: Marquette 81, St. John's 75. Gutty 2H performance by MU. Should result in AP votes on Monday. #mubb— Anonymous Eagle (@AnonymousEagle) January 9, 2016
After all, they had a road victory against Providence, the team that had been ranked #8 in the most recent Associated Press poll, and they held serve against the Red Storm to follow that up. I didn't expect Marquette to make it into the top 25 following losses to Seton Hall and Georgetown, mind you, but I figured that PC win would be worth a 25th place vote here or there.
The new poll is out and Marquette got zero votes.
While I'll admit that I misread the minds of the voters completely here, there are some questionable votes getting thrown around.
- Dayton lost to La Salle on Saturday. The Flyers were #25 a week ago, and apparently someone just sent in last week's top 25 as this week's ballot, because Dayton still got a 25th place vote.
- St. Bonaventure beat George Mason and UMass to move to 11-3 and 3-0 in the Atlantic 10. That's nice, I guess, but I don't know if that's worth a 25th place vote.
- Oregon State lost AT HOME to 9-6 Stanford on Wednesday and got a 25th place vote.
- I'm guessing that whoever put the Beavers into their top 25 had Oregon ranked above them. The Ducks won both their games this week, but were coming off a loss to Oregon State back on Sunday. Oregon got 6 points in this week's poll.
- Saint Mary's lost to Pepperdine on Saturday. The Gaels got 8 points in the poll.
- Texas Tech lost to Iowa State and Kansas and got 10 points. Look, I get that they were 11-1 a week ago, but when you get cracked by two teams in the top 25, I don't think you can get votes.
- With losses to Washington and Washington State on their resume, UCLA beat #7 Arizona.... at home.... and managed to get 21 points after not getting any votes at all a week ago. C'mon, man. What are we even doing here, man?
- Purdue lost to an Illinois team that hadn't won in 2016 yet, and they managed to stay in the top 25 with 120 points after being ranked #20 a week ago.
You can see how I could have thought that Marquette was going to get a vote or two here.
In other Associated Press poll news, Marquette is going to face two top 10 teams this coming week. The Golden Eagles head to The Pavilion to face Villanova on Wednesday, and the Wildcats are currently the #6 team in the country. On Saturday, MU will be back in the friendly confines of the Bradley Center to face #7 Xavier.
Yeah, it's kind of a big week for Marquette.
Elsewhere in the Big East, Providence slipped to 12th after losing to Marquette, and Butler is down to a tie for #23 with UConn after losing three of their last four games, with the most recent L coming against Villanova. In other Marquette opponent news, Iowa is up to #16 from #19 a week ago after beating Nebraska to move to 3-0 in the Big Ten.
You can check out the full Associated Press top 25 right here.