clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Marquette Women’s Soccer Gets First Win Of 2017 Against Kentucky

First win for the team and first win for the entire athletic department for the new school year.

Marquette women's soccer
Madison Dunker had the helper on MU’s game-winning goal on Sunday afternoon.

After over 60 minutes of scoreless action, Marquette and Kentucky exploded for three goals in a 14 minute stretch on Sunday afternoon at Valley Fields, but it was the Golden Eagles that came away with the 2-1 advantage when the final horn sounded. It’s the first win of the year for Marquette, which moves to 1-1-0 on the season.

There wasn’t much to write home about from the first half, which featured a grand combined total of four shots, with only one - from Kentucky in the 13th minute - coming on frame. Things livened up in the second half in a big way, as Marquette would close the final 45 minutes with a 16-5 shot advantage. Carrie Madden made the first noise of the game in the 64th minute when she was ready and waiting for UK’s Evangeline Soucie to be unable to do more than deflect a shot by Darian Powell. All Madden had to do was slide tackle the ball into the net for MU’s first goal of the season.

Kentucky answered back quickly less than five minutes later on an unassisted goal by Eva Mitchell. MU keeper Maddy Henry got tangled up with her own defender and was unable to get back to her feet fast enough to make a play on the ball that Mitchell collected and sent home to level the match at one.

Things stayed tied until the 77th minute when Marquette earned a free kick just short of the midfield line. Madison Dunker launched a beautiful ball straight down Broadway and Abby Hess played where the ball was going to be instead of watching where the ball was, darting behind the UK defense and put a perfect touch on the ball to catch Soucie off guard and put Marquette up 2-1. It’s the first goal of Hess’ collegiate career in just her second match as a redshirt freshman.

Special credit to Hess for the spinebuster she delivers to Leah Celarek, albeit accidentally. Of course, there was still 14 minutes of soccer left to be played, but the Golden Eagles were able to keep the pressure up on the Wildcats to prevent yet another equalizer.

Here’s postgame comments from Hess along with head coach Markus Roeders.

How about some highlights, courtesy of

Up Next: The Golden Eagles return to action on Friday once the freshmen get settled into their residence halls. They’ll be hosting Drake at Valley Fields, and the Bulldogs are 1-1-0 this season after a loss to UNLV and a win over Weber State.