We got the Big East men’s basketball schedule earlier this week, so it was only a matter of time before the women’s hoops schedule dropped. That happened on Thursday afternoon with a disappointing minimum of fanfare from the league office, but no matter. We now know the 18 game path that Marquette will take through conference play as they look to improve on their 2017 Big East tournament title with a regular season crown in 2018.
Here’s the full 18 game schedule for the Golden Eagles:
2017-18 Marquette Women’s Basketball Big East Schedule
|Thurs., Dec. 28||St. John's||7:30 PM||FS2|
|Sat., Dec. 30||Seton Hall||6:30 PM|
|Thurs., Jan. 4||DePaul||7:00 PM|
|Sun., Jan. 7||at Creighton||1:00 PM||FS2|
|Wed., Jan. 10||at Providence||6:00 PM|
|Fri., Jan. 12||Butler||7:00 PM|
|Sun., Jan. 14||Xavier||2:00 PM|
|Fri., Jan. 19||at Georgetown||6:00 PM|
|Sun., Jan. 21||at Villanova||11:00 AM||FS1|
|Mon., Jan. 29||at DePaul||8:00 PM||FS1|
|Fri., Feb. 2||Providence||7:00 PM|
|Sun., Feb. 4||Creighton||2:00 PM|
|Fri., Feb. 9||at Xavier||7:00 PM||FS2|
|Sun., Feb. 11||at Butler||12:00 PM|
|Fri., Feb. 16||Villanova||7:00 PM|
|Sun., Feb. 18||Georgetown||2:00 PM|
|Fri., Feb. 23||at Seton Hall||6:00 PM|
|Sun., Feb. 25||at St. John's||1:00 PM|
Here’s what jumped out at me:
- Marquette will make five appearances on national television this season, including two consecutive games on FS1. I believe that matches DePaul for the most appearances in the league, although all five MU games are conference matchups while DePaul gets Connecticut for one of theirs.
- The other 13 games on the slate will all get a streaming broadcast courtesy of the Big East Digital Network on Fox Sports Go.
- Like last year, the league is attempting to cram in games before the spring semester starts. Marquette will be playing seven of their 18 games in an 18 day stretch between December 28 and January 14. The good news, I suppose, is that MU will then play just three games over the next 18 days. Weird, huh? For the record, it’s actually three games in an 11 day span, but there’s time off on either side to get it to 18.
- Marquette catches a break on the worst road trip in the league this year. The Big East uses travel partners for women’s basketball. For example, everyone else in the league has to play Marquette and DePaul in consecutive games, both at home and on the road. Sucks to be them. Given the proximity of the other eight schools in the league to another school, Creighton and Providence are travel partners, which means teams have to go from Omaha to Rhode Island, or vice versa. MU gets lucky here, as instead of going Friday/Sunday as most of the games are scheduled, the Golden Eagles will go Sunday/Wednesday and get two days off in between games. As an added bonus, it’s also during winter break for the players. As a bummer, Tori McCoy will be stuck on campus by herself since she can’t travel with the team as a transfer redshirt.
- Both of Marquette’s games against 2017 Big East tournament runner-up DePaul come in the first 10 games. MU will finish the full rotation through the league and then start their second trip through with a visit to Chicago. You can tell the Blue Demons are afraid of the fan power of Marquette, as that game will be played on campus at McGrath-Phillips Arena instead of at the brand new Wintrust Arena.
Head coach Carolyn Kieger and her squad kick off the 2017-18 campaign on November 13th when they visit New Mexico, and I’m already getting excited about what the upcoming season holds for the Golden Eagles.