Since we passed by Labor Day on Monday, it was only a matter of time before the Big East announced the 2019-20 men’s basketball conference schedule. That happened on Thursday afternoon, and now we know all of the dates and most of the times for the entirety of Marquette men’s basketball’s schedule. Not only did we get the 18 game league schedule, but we also got television information for all of the games as well as TV info and start times for much of the non-conference schedule as well.
Here’s the highlights:
- Marquette has two games locked in for big fancy broadcast Fox: The last Big East home game (Seton Hall), and the always delightful trip to Providence. The first Big East home game of the year (Villanova) will either be on Fox or FS1. That one is currently locked for a 1pm Central time tipoff, so it appears that the TV broadcast will be decided by the NFL playoff schedule, as Saturday, January 4th, is the Wild Card round of the playoffs.
- Marquette has two appearances on FS2, but both are non-conference home games: Robert Morris and Jacksonville.
- There are four Fox Sports Wisconsin games on the schedule: Home against Grambling State, Xavier, and DePaul, as well as on the road at Madison Square Garden against St. John’s in the regular season finale.
- Yes, that’s right, Marquette is not going to Carnesecca Arena this season. Praise your god(s) of choice.
- There’s one game on Fox College Sports which is an absolutely real channel: The regular season opener against Loyola-Maryland. If you’re local to Milwaukee and won’t be in attendance, it’ll be on FS Wisconsin according to Deputy Athletic Director Mike Broeker. Outside Milwaukee? Wellllllll.......
- Marquette has two CBS Sports Network games this season, both on the road: At Creighton and at Seton Hall.
- Everything else except for the Disney World tournament over Thanksgiving weekend and the trip to Kansas State will be on FS1. The Disney tourney will be on an ESPN broadcast one way or another, as The World Wide Leader actually owns the event. The K-State game is totally up in the air for now. I would wager that’s going to be an ESPN networks game as KSU/the Big 12 holds the rights as the home team, but that’s up to the Big East/Big 12 challenge scheduling wizards to officially decide.
- National Marquette Day is officially up in the air for right now. It’s usually the last Saturday home game that’s not Senior Day. That would make it February 1st against DePaul.... but that’s a game on the Fox Sports Regional broadcasts, and having a guaranteed national broadcast would seem to make more sense. MU is also at home on Sunday, February 9th, hosting Butler, which is also an option as a weekend day game. That’s an 11am tipoff with a broadcast on FS1. Of course, the last home game of the year — again, traditionally Senior Day and not NMD as well — is a Saturday, with Seton Hall coming to town for a 1:30pm tipoff on Fox. There’s options, so keep your eyes open.
I think that just about covers the important stuff. Did I miss anything? Did something important jump out at you? Pipe up in the comments as needed.
Here’s the full Big East schedule for Marquette.
2019-20 Marquette MBB Big East Schedule
|Wed., January 1||at Creighton||CBS Sports Network||TBD|
|Sat., January 4||Villanova||Fox/FS1||1:00 PM|
|Tues., January 7||Providence||FS1||6:00 PM|
|Sat., January 11||at Seton Hall||CBS Sports Network||TBD|
|Wed., January 15||Xavier||FS Wisconsin||7:00 PM|
|Sat., January 18||at Georgetown||FS1||1:00 PM|
|Tues., January 21||St. John's||FS1||8:00 PM|
|Fri., January 24||at Butler||FS1||8:00 PM|
|Wed., January 29||at Xavier||FS1||7:30 PM|
|Sat., February 1||DePaul||FS Wisconsin||1:00 PM|
|Sun., February 9||Butler||FS1||11:00 AM|
|Wed., February 12||at Villanova||FS1||7:30 PM|
|Tues., February 18||Creighton||FS1||7:30 PM|
|Sat., February 22||at Providence||Fox||11:00 AM|
|Wed., February 26||Georgetown||FS1||7:30 PM|
|Sat., Feb. 29||Seton Hall||Fox||1:30 PM|
|Tues., March 3||at DePaul||FS1||TBD|
|Sat., March 7||at St. John's||FS Wisconsin||11:00 AM|