Okay, so let’s back up a bit so y’all follow what happened here.
- Marquette men’s basketball was originally scheduled by the Big East to not play again until Tuesday, February 2nd against Butler.
- Connecticut and Butler played a men’s basketball game on Tuesday, January 26th.
- One of the referees from that game tested positive for COVID-19.
- That pushed Connecticut into an activities pause pending testing and contact tracing.
- Connecticut won’t finish that process until after their scheduled Sunday, January 31 game against St. John’s, so that game was postponed.
- Marquette and St. John’s are both available and still have a game in Milwaukee left to play against each other this season.
- The Big East moved that Marquette-St. John’s game, originally scheduled for February 20th, to Sunday, January 31st.
Hey, that wasn’t so complicated.
The game is scheduled for 2:30pm Central time, and it will be broadcast on Fox, the big fancy broadcast channel. It was supposed to be an all-UConn doubleheader on Fox with the Huskies’ women’s basketball team visiting DePaul with a noon Central start. That’s not happening, and now Marquette and St. John’s get the lead in of maybe the most important game left on the women’s basketball calendar in the Big East.
Marquette picked up the win in the New York City side of the season series against St. John’s earlier this season. Your final in that one was 73-71, with D.J. Carton leading Marquette in scoring with 14 points. The Golden Eagles were up 10 with 15 minutes left, but gave up a huge singular run to Julian Champagnie to make the game competitive the rest of the way until a layup by Koby McEwen with just seconds left.
As a result of the schedule change, Marquette will now have 10 days between games in late February. They have a game scheduled at Butler on February 17th, but not another one until visiting Connecticut on February 27th. Hopefully the league makes use of the space to get the Golden Eagles a game against Villanova or Georgetown, as those two postponements have not been added back into the schedule yet.