After Labor Day? Check.
Jon Rothstein started leaking games two days ago? Check
That means Friday was Big East men’s basketball schedule release day!
Here’s the Marquette schedule announcement on the Twitter Machine:
Here’s what immediately jumped out at me:
- Connecticut for Senior Night
- The official team press release notes that February 10th against St. John’s will be National Marquette Day. The official schedule page notes that it will also be Al’s Night, as is tradition.
- Winter Break on campus runs from December 17th through January 15th, which means there will be no students for Georgetown, Creighton, and Butler. No classes on the 15th, the day of the Villanova game, but classes start the next day so the students will be back for that one. The way the league projects this season, that’s not the worst possible way to go for games with students. Could be better, but that’s life, the games have to go somewhere.
- Between January 16th and February 9th, Marquette will play just one home game in a stretch of five games.
- Between January 16th and February 20th, Marquette will play just two home games in an eight game stretch.
- At Creighton and home vs UConn back to back in March certainly feels like the Big East regular season title could be decided there.
- I’d have to do some digging to figure it out for sure, but this feels like the first time Marquette will go to Madison Square Garden for a regular season game against St. John’s since clinching the 2013 regular season title there against the Red Storm.
In a non-Marquette note on the conference schedule, but one that we’re all very curious about: Georgetown and new head coach Ed Cooley travel to Providence on Saturday, January 27th.
What jumps out at you about the schedule? Fire off your thoughts in the comments!
Here’s the entire 20 game slate in an easy to read table format.
2023-24 Marquette Men’s Basketball Big East Schedule
|Tuesday, December 19
|Friday, December 22
|Saturday, December 30
|Saturday, January 6
|at Seton Hall
|Wednesday, January 10
|Monday, January 15
|Saturday, January 20
|at St. John's (at MSG)
|Wednesday, January 24
|Saturday, January 27
|Tuesday, January 30
|Saturday, February 3
|Saturday, February 10
|St. John's (Al's Night)
|Tuesday, February 13
|Saturday, February 17
|Wednesday, February 21
|Sunday, February 25
|Wednesday, February 28
|Saturday, March 2
|Wednesday, March 6
|Connecticut (Senior Night)
|Saturday, March 9